Thursday, January 17, 2013

croc-pot lasagna






Since our gas bill gets pretty high in the winter I like to use my Croc-pot whenever I can to avoid turning on the oven, and it's nice to not turn the heater on in the summer when you live in hot places. It's so nice to prep for a meal in the morning and it be ready to enjoy when you get home after work. Making lasagna in the crock-pot is so convenient and it makes a ton. You can have it for multiple days or you can freeze the leftovers.

I have two different recipes i like to use, my favorite is a white sauce lasagna that uses Alfredo, spinach, artichokes, ricotta, mozzarella, and ground turkey.
but you can also use regular tomato sauce, ground beef, cottage cheese, and mozzarella; Both are made the same just with different ingredients

ingredients
1 lb. ground beef/ground turkey
29 oz can tomato sauce/Alfredo sauce
8 oz pkg. lasagna noodles, uncooked
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

1 1/2 cups cottage cheese - for regular lasagna
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese mixed with chopped spinache  and chopped artichokes - for white sauce lasagna


1. Spray the inside of the crock-pot with cooking spray, or you can use olive oil                    
2. Brown the ground beef or turkey ; when browned Stir the tomato/alfredo sauce in with the ground meat
4. Spread 1/4 of the meat sauce on the bottom of the crock-pot
5. Arrange 1/3 of the uncooked noodles over the sauce (I usually break them up so they fit better)
6. Combine the cheeses in a bowl.or mix the ricotta with the spinach and artichokes. Spoon 1/3 of the cheese mixture over the noodles.
7. Repeat these layers twice; Top with remaining sauce
9. Cover and cook on low for 4hrs  or high for 2hrs
(I've started the crock-pot on high in the morning while I get ready for work and then put it on warm before I leave and it's perfect when I get home)
10. Let the lasagna stand in the crock-pot with the lid off for at least 10 minutes

 

No comments:

Post a Comment